Sharon Okun was born in 1976 in Toronto, Canada. A love for Art History and an interest in Art Restoration lead Sharon to Florence, Italy at the age of 19. She attended Art History courses through Syracuse University, while assisting in an Art Restoration Workshop. In 1997 she began a year of training at the Charles Cecil Studio-an Art Academy that offers it’s students a curriculum modeled after that of the major realist ateliers of the 19th century. There she completed meticulous charcoal drawings of classical sculptures and academic renderings of the nude. From 2000-2002, she apprenticed in the private studio American artist, Richard Serrin, where they worked together on a large-scale mythological compositions with focus on the elements of composition and analysis of human anatomy through drawing from the figure daily.
After her education Sharon continued to call Florence her home, while she produced work for her Galleries in the U.K, France, America and Canada.
In 2012, Sharon moved back to Canada where she set up her studio in Montreal, to focus on completing commissions for private clients and collectors. The Ontario countryside provides inspiration for her and she plans to continue to work there for the foreseeable future.
- 2009 The Hart Gallery, Palm Desert, California, USA, ‘Film Noir’
- 2009 Ingram Gallery, Toronto, Canada, ‘Paramount Pictures’
- 2007 Ingram Gallery, Toronto, Canada, ‘She Saw’
Selected Group Exhibitions
- 2020 ‘In the Same Deep Water as you’. Joint Online Exhibition. Paris, Ontario, Canada.
- 2015 Ingram Gallery, Toronto, Canada. ‘Group exhibition’
- 2014 Ingram Gallery,Toronto, Canada. ‘Group Exhibition’
- 2010 54 The Gallery, Mayfair, London, England
- 2007 Galerie Saint Roch, Paris, France, ‘Hulies, Dessins, Sumi-e’
- 2006 Ingram Gallery, Toronto, Canada, ‘Fresh in 06’
- 2004 Blake Lapthorn Linnel Art Exhibition, Oxford, England
- 2003 ‘Still Classical: Recent works on paper from Florentine academics and studios’ (Travelling Exhibition) Westbeth Gallery, Greenwhich, NY / Rhode Island School of Design, Providence,
Rhode Island, Palazzo Cenci, Rome, Italy
- 2002 Salon d’Art, Boucentrum, ‘Kunstevent Art Exhibition’, Antwerp, Belgium
- 2001 British Institute, Florence, Italy, ‘Exhibition of Drawings’
International Art Fairs
- 2007 Toronto International Art Fair, Ingram Gallery, Toronto, Canada
- 2006 Toronto International Art Fair, Ingram Gallery, Toronto, Canada
- 2004 Fine Art and Antiques Fair, Panter and Hall Gallery, London, UK
Fundraising Auction Event Participation
- 2021 Bruce Bailey’s ‘Fete Champetre’ in support of the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts. Northumberland County, Ontario.
- 2020- Just Art online Art Auction. Fundraiser to support refugee women from Iran during their first year in Canada.
- 2019 RCRT Foundation Gala Fundraiser for the ‘Hello World Education Program’ for Children in
Uganda. Royal Hospital, Chelsea. London, U.K.
- Winter 2020- Canadian House & Home. Artwork featured in Nancy Lockhart’s Historical Cottage.
- Winter 2015- Maison et Demeure Magazine. (House & Home magazine). Feature article on the Maison-Atelier of Sharon Okun and Adam Markovic.
- Fall 2010- Queen’s Quarterly Magazine. A Canadian review “Sharon Okun- Paramount Pictures”
- Artwork photography by Toni Hafkenscheid & Isabelle Dube
- Web design by Jacob Lucs